Thursday, July 4, 2013

TPM Nute Gunray

Sadly, I feel like there’s something negative to be said when The Phantom Menace pops up on any occasion. If this were 1999, I can’t say for sure I’d have any interest in this figure, especially given the high retail price of these figures ($7 seems like a dream now, but fourteen year ago that was kind of high.). Years later, I find there is something to come back to with a few of these figures, Nute Gunray in particular.Episode I Star Wars TPM The Phantom Menace 90's new trillogy Rune Hako Naboo Gungan CIS Trade Federation Darth Maul

Sadly, I feel like there’s something negative to be said when The Phantom Menace pops up on any occasion. If this were 1999, I can’t say for sure I’d have any interest in this figure, especially given the high retail price of these figures ($7 seems like a dream now, but fourteen year ago that was kind of high.). Years later, I find there is something to come back to with a few of these figures, Nute Gunray in particular.

Nute hasn’t seen but a few toy releases over the years, but I guess it’s understandable given the character isn’t too action oriented. This figure fits my needs for the character, featuring a fine sculpt on his robes, and good paint details in general. I do wish he featured some soft goods which would give him a much better range of motion in his arms, as the way he is the figure is very bulky and practically a statue. It also seems like a bit of a shame he didn’t include any parts, which I think was an issue with the line overall.

Again, back in the day this figure might not have seemed half as interesting, but time can change the way you look at things. For pocket change, he’s a fun character and a figure that’s aged well. From the Episode I line, this guy stands out as a bit of a gem.

Episode I Star Wars TPM The Phantom Menace 90's new trillogy Rune Hako Naboo Gungan CIS Trade Federation Darth Maul

5 comments:

  1. For a '99/2000 figure he still looks remarkably good, and it's fair to say he's not a character that warrants multiple points of articulation. Nice profile here. I'm slowly but surely building an Episode 1 collection, I'll keep my eyes peeled for him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I passed up on all the Episode 1 stuff when it was out, but I've also found myself going back and building a collection of these characters. It's hard to pass them up when you can get both the new and old figures for change.

      Delete
    2. Yes, that's pretty much my approach as well. Car boot sales are a goldmine for TPM stuff these days!

      Delete
  2. The Neimoidians and other separatists were my favorite parts of the prequels. As a figure, this guy looks great. I nabbed him and his AOTC(3 pack) update when they were on the pegs. As Joe stated, he doesn't really need too much articulation but I agree with you, Chad, about softgoods adding a lot to the figure. You can always buy an extra or two and add some softgoods robes by Skipthefrogman???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a big problem with Episode 1 was that they didn't feature the Separatists enough. I did like the Battle Droid a lot when I was a kid, and an evil army of robots is just cool. I think a bigger focus on them rather than the Pod-racing and Gungans would've gone a long way.

      I might lookout for an extra Nute, I think the idea of customizing him sounds good.

      Delete