Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Kenner Rebel Commando



Prior to my acquisition of him, the Rebel Soldier from ROTJ didn’t interest me as much. That’s not to say I had no interest in the figure, but he’s the kind that looks bland from the surface, yet upon further inspection is such a pleasant surprise. Vintage Toy Action figure Star Wars Return of the Jedi ROTJ Endor Han TVC Ewoks Hasbro ESB ANH

Prior to my acquisition of him, the Rebel Soldier from ROTJ didn’t interest me as much. That’s not to say I had no interest in the figure, but he’s the kind that looks bland from the surface, yet upon further inspection is such a pleasant surprise.

I think this figure’s problem is that he’s a tad generic for a Star Wars design. He looks like a generic, green army man with little to distinguish him. Then again, it’s not like that’s a bad thing, rather I think it has a place in the line when so many of the designs are so outlandish. Perhaps a soft-goods piece like Endor Han had would’ve taken this figure a bit further, but he’s still a fine soldier that could be imagined in many scenarios besides Endor. It helps level things out for the Rebels when the Empire already had so many grunts.


This figure’s blaster is one of the best the line had to offer. I think it really shows how much Kenner had improved their quality by the time this figure was made. It’s a good looking gun brimming with little details, and by modern standards still looks pretty good. The strap nicely adds to the figure as well, allowing him to also carry the gun over his shoulder.

Vintage Toy Action figure Star Wars Return of the Jedi ROTJ Endor Han TVC Ewoks Hasbro ESB ANH

2 comments:

  1. Some great shots of these guys, Chad. You, Xander and Beru really gives these guys some credibility. The dusters really enhance them and the setting is important. These, like Boussh, Madine and the Rancor Keeper were peg warmers, back in the day;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dan! I always find it interesting hearing about how these were back in the day. Again, these guys are a little generic as toys, so I can imagine they wouldn't have moved the fastest.

      Delete