Friday, September 28, 2012

POTF 2 Sandtrooper



I recently rediscovered this little gem while digging through an old tub of stuff from my childhood. After quickly finding his parts and studying him for a bit I believe he’s one of the nicer figures from Power of the Force 2, for a few reasons. I wouldn’t say I’m hard on this era of figures, but with a lot of the figures just being decent it’s real surprise when you come across one like this guy from early in the line, who still looks oddly pleasing.

Vintage Power of the Force 2 Imperial Stormtrooper Jawa Greedo Longsnoot Garindan ANH A New Hope 1996 1997 Tatooine

A common feature during this time was Kenner’s speckle type weathering. Normally I have a bit of distaste for this, but on this figure it actually looks half decent. If you compare it to some of Hasbro’s newer Sandtroopers, it actually looks a tad more convincing.

 The sculpting is another nice aspect of this one, and his pose works very nicely as well. One of my bigger problems with POTF2 toys is the way they always have these dynamic stances, yet it’s always just dynamically standing there. This guy is actually designed to get a two-handed pose with his gun, and he looks far more natural than many of his bowlegged, bent-kneed contemporaries. They could’ve done him normally, but I think it helps him hold up better now.

 It's also pretty cool that he's the first figure of this design, it's almost worth having him for that alone.

Vintage Power of the Force 2 Imperial Stormtrooper Tatooine 1996

No comments:

Post a Comment