Thursday, August 22, 2013

Kenner Bespin Security Guard



Bespin figures are kind of addictive: the more I get of them, the more I want. It’s an interesting world portrayed in Empire Strikes Back and part of what gives the film an edge over the other two original trilogy movies. The Bespin Guard strikes me as being very memorable in the ESB, being the guys who actually carried Han to the Slave-1.

The original Kenner figure accurately represents their cool uniforms fairly well. He seems to lack the beard the actor on the card featured, coincidentally making him more resemble Charles Bronson. In that way I think that actually makes him cooler, but it’s still kind of odd. The figure comes with the blaster used for most of the other Bespin figures, I feel this one was a bit overused, but fortunately it isn’t a bad gun. He also features an attractive yet fragile gold paint application, I’ve had to repaint it on two of mine, but fortunately the color doesn’t seem hard to match.

It’s also really interesting that Kenner seemingly thought this design was important enough to be worth making again as a second figure, who was black and an entirely different sculpt. I’ll profile him another day, but he definitely adds something to this figure, in the way that it helps both feel individualistic.


No comments:

Post a Comment